MarketSmith utilizes a technology developed by Microsoft called Silverlight. Silverlight provides a robust, interactive experience for our users and has many uses for the Web, desktop, and mobile devices. It is possible that you already have installed this control on your computer, however, our website can also detect if the Silverlight control needs to be installed.
To verify if Silverlight needs to be installed, please log into www.marketsmith.com and refer to the area in the top right corner below the text “Welcome back, Your Name.” If you see an orange “Launch Tool” button on our site, Silverlight has been installed and you may click on the button to begin using MarketSmith.
Back to Top
Why is the website asking me to install Silverlight?
MarketSmith utilizes a technology developed by Microsoft called Silverlight. Silverlight provides a robust, interactive experience for our users and has many uses for the Web, desktop, and mobile devices. Our website has detected that the Silverlight control needs to be installed. Please download Silverlight in order to access the tool.
Back to Top
What if I can't upgrade to Silverlight 5?
For those who are unable to install Silverlight 5, we will temporarily be making a Silverlight 4 version of MarketSmith available. Just click the link below.
Launch MarketSmith with Silverlight 4
Back to Top
I received the message: "we detect you have your Silverlight isolated storage setting disabled. This will cause certain functions in MarketSmith to not function correctly." What should I do?
MarketSmith requires that application storage is enabled for Silverlight. If for some reason you receive the above mentioned message a) your application storage has become disabled or b) you may be running your browser in Private Browsing. To resolve the issue please complete the following steps:
A) Enable Application Storage
- Launch the MarketSmith tool.
- With your mouse, right-click on either the top menu bar of the tool or one of the MarketSmith Panels (Screener, List Panel, Related Information, etc).
- A “Silverlight” preferences menu should appear, left-click on this item.
- A window will open titled “Microsoft Silverlight Configuration” on a PC. If you are using a Mac, this window will be titled “Microsoft Silverlight Preferences.”
- Select the “Application Storage” tab.
- Toward the bottom of this window, make sure the box is checked for “Enable Application Storage.”
- Click “OK” to close.
Make sure you do not see any indication that your browser is running in Private Browsing. If you do see a mention of private browsing at the top of your browser:
B) Disable Private Browsing in:
- Click on “Tools” and select “Stop Private Browsing”. The page should refresh and now you may click on Launch Tool once again.
- If “Stop Private Browsing” is greyed-out, click on “Options.”
- Select the “Privacy” tab. Next to “Firefox will:” click on “Never remember history” and select “Remember History” from the drop down menu.
- Click OK and click on Launch Tool once again.
- Close the browser completely and open a new Internet Explorer.
- Go to www.marketsmith.com and sign-in to launch the tool.
- Look for the “Private” button located within the URL address bar, near the right-handside.
- Click on the “Private” button and select OK to stop running in Private Browsing.
- The page will refresh automatically and you may click on Launch Tool.
For more information on the latest issues, fixes, and upgrades please visit the Technical Support Forums.
Back to Top